Aug 17, 2009

My New Computer and Fry’s Electronics



The stats :
Gateway DX4820-01 Desktop

  • Processor : Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor 8300 (2.5GHz | 6MB L2 cache | 1333MHz)


  • operating System : Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1


  • Chipset : Intel® G43 Express Chipset + ICH10


  • Memory : 6GB DDR3 Memory


  • Hard Drive : 750GB SATA Hard Drive


  • Card Reader : Multi-in-One Digital Media Card Reader with Photo Frame Button


  • Audio : (7.1) High-Definition Audio, Amplified Stereo Speakers (USB Powered)


  • Key Board & Mouse : ” Premium Multimedia Keyboard, USB Optical 3-Button Wheel Mouse


  • Optical Drive : 18X DVD+/-R/RW Super Multi-Format Dual Layer Drive featuring LabelFlash™ Technology





  • After 8 years my old Gateway desktop computer was at its last legs and needed to be put out to pasture. 8 years ago I had a choice between Gateway or Dell,
    at the time Gateway was an up and coming company and on the surface it looked like a company you could bank on, well unfortunately Gateway didn’t last as strong as Dell. Dell computers you see everywhere, Gateway not so much. The last 2 years my old Gateway needed to be “Frankensteined” numerous times just to be able for it to turn on.
    When I went to out to buy a new computer I vowed that I would never get another Gateway, looks like I was wrong. Just doing the comparisons of what I was getting and making every dollar count, Gateway was on the mark. For me and at this point of my life, all I was looking for was a general all purpose desktop computer that would run and do general music, pictures, and movies without delay. Its true the Gateway company has fallen off since I bought my first computer 8 years ago, but looking close at Gateway they are on the rise again and more so since they were bought my the Acer company a couple years back. Overall I’d like to have my computers last for about a dozen years, but I guess 8 years wasn’t that bad.

    Now a word on Fry’s Electronics, this place is like Radio Shack, on steroids. It is the Costco of electronics, you can find anything and everything here with regards to computers, electronics, and anything that moves, flashes, or makes a noise. This place even serves food as you walk towards the check out counters.
    The big thing I must say, is that customer service is great, that is if you know WTF your talking about, if your looking for technical computer stuff, you better know how to, “speak the language”, computer n00bs like myself don’t speak nerd, its like a language in itself, I think this is the reason why many people are frustrated with customer service here, there is a communication gap between, Mr. Computer n00b like myself and tech nerds that work as employees here, if you need a part for your computer its best to come with someone who knows WTF is going on, kinda like a nerd translator. I think every family needs a computer nerd in the family, just for those times when your computer dies out on you and you don’t want to pay big money to get it fixed. Thankfully my uncle is a computer nerd and is a regular at Fry’s. It was incredible watching my uncle and the customer help employees talk about computer tech and parts, it made me feel like I was at a Stark Trek Convention.
    Lastly I have to mention all the eye candy here, if you came into the store aimed at just buying one item, then good luck. Every aisle is filled with impulse items, I have to admit they are kinda cool. Plus the store looks really out of the ordinary, the entrance way looks like a UFO just crashed into the building, there are giant ants, giant spiders, army vehicles, and a giant Octopus braking down the wall, not your typical electronic store that’s for sure.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment